- RSS Channel Showcase 5647417
- RSS Channel Showcase 3693144
- RSS Channel Showcase 5479911
- RSS Channel Showcase 9130602
Articles on this Page
- 06/24/17--03:00: _Bill Brooks: Hudson...
- 06/29/17--04:00: _Don't even think of...
- 07/01/17--01:00: _Bill Brooks: 24th A...
- 07/01/17--01:00: _Bill Brooks: Walrus...
- 07/08/17--03:00: _Bill Brooks: Celebr...
- 07/22/17--00:00: _Bill Brooks: Golf t...
- 07/22/17--00:00: _O'Donoghue honoured...
- 07/22/17--00:00: _Bill Brooks: Last l...
- 07/29/17--00:00: _Bill Brooks: Calgar...
- 07/29/17--00:00: _Bill Brooks: Rockyv...
- 08/26/17--04:00: _Prostate Cancer Cen...
- 09/15/17--04:00: _Bill Brooks: Adoles...
- 09/18/17--12:11: _Bill Brooks: White ...
- 09/18/17--13:37: _Alberta Children's ...
- 09/23/17--04:16: _Champions of Hope s...
- 09/23/17--04:58: _Lucky number 10 for...
- 09/30/17--04:15: _Film festival Red C...
- 09/30/17--04:33: _The Beat Goes on Ga...
- 10/06/17--04:45: _Luxury abounds at P...
- 10/07/17--04:12: _Fall speed ahead at...
- 06/24/17--03:00: Bill Brooks: Hudson opening met with great fanfare
- 06/29/17--04:00: Don't even think of growing there; not all plants should be welcome
- 07/01/17--01:00: Bill Brooks: Walrus Foundation celebrates our 150th anniversary
- 07/08/17--03:00: Bill Brooks: Celebrating super sesquicentennial
- 07/22/17--00:00: Bill Brooks: Golf tournament raises funds for kids
- 07/22/17--00:00: O'Donoghue honoured with Distinguished Business Leader Award
- 07/22/17--00:00: Bill Brooks: Last look at Stampede 2017 at the Gibson Energy BBQ
- 07/29/17--00:00: Bill Brooks: Calgary Business Leaders are tops
- 08/26/17--04:00: Prostate Cancer Centre wins big at Priddis Greens Charity Classic
- 09/15/17--04:00: Bill Brooks: Adolescent mental health focus of glorious garden party
- 09/18/17--12:11: Bill Brooks: White night at Diner en Blanc
- 09/18/17--13:37: Alberta Children's Hospital wins big at CHAS Charity Golf Classic
- 09/23/17--04:16: Champions of Hope support Parkinson disease research
- 09/23/17--04:58: Lucky number 10 for Prostate Cancer Centre
- 09/30/17--04:15: Film festival Red Carpet Gala a hit
- 09/30/17--04:33: The Beat Goes on Gala raises more than $900,000 for heart health
- 10/06/17--04:45: Luxury abounds at PARKLUXE 2017
- 10/07/17--04:12: Fall speed ahead at Heritage Park September Shindig
Saturdays were always a day I looked forward to as a kid. My pals and I would hop the bus and go to the Bay downtown – not to shop, mind you, but to gorge on a burger and fries in the cafeteria on the top floor. We’re talking more than 50 years ago and […]
Since we all suffer through months and months of grey and brown in the landscape, it’s understandable to welcome any and all green when spring finally arrives. But not all plant material should be embraced. There are all kinds of plants on the invasive list — and even more on the noxious list. And please, let’s […]
Picture-perfect weather ensured the 24th Annual Calgary Co-op Charity Golf Classic, held recently at Heritage Pointe Golf and Country Club, was a great success. More than 160 golfers took part and had a wonderful day on the links. Since its inauguration in 1993, the event has raised over $5 million in support of deserving charities […]
Today marks the 150th anniversary of Confederation. There’s certainly not a better place on earth than Canada and we should all be fiercely proud of our amazing country. Celebrations from coast to coast to coast have been enveloping the nation for many weeks now. One of the more cerebral celebrations- The Walrus Talks Conversations about […]
The occasional spot of rain certainly didn’t dampen the attendance-nor enthusiasm-at two sesquicentennial celebrations July 1 held in private homes in tony Mount Royal. Your faithful social scribe had the distinct pleasure of starting the afternoon at the home of McCarthy Tetrault partner, Greg Turnbull, Q.C. and his fabulous wife Shirley. That tequila shots greeted […]
What started as a chat over coffee has evolved into a hugely successful golf tournament. Like-minded individuals felt the need to support less-advantaged kids in our city and decided to start the Business Fore Kids annual golf tournament 12 years ago. Since it’s inception, more than $2 million has been raised for the benefit of […]
One of the more prestigious awards one could hope to receive is the Distinguished Business Leader Award-co-presented by the Haskayne School of Business and the Calgary Chamber of Commerce. Since 1993, outstanding leaders in our business community have been recognized for their exceptional vision, ethical leadership, commitment to the community and sound business sense. And […]
Stampede 2017 was just the fix we all needed. Sure, there were less corporate parties this year, but those that did go ahead took the route of supporting charitable organizations. Gibson Energy held its annual stampede BBQ at Heritage Park July 10. Funds raised at the event supported the Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre (AARC). The […]
Being an exceptional business leader is no small feat. Challenges galore test the mettle of myriad businesses whether its the carbon tax, increases in the minimum wage, or shameful federal and provincial government ‘business averse’ polices, it’s indeed tougher than ever to make a buck. And yet there are lots of business leaders in our […]
These days, the words “the event raised more than $1 million” are rarely-if ever heard. The not-for-profit fundraising landscape has changed dramatically. And not in a good way. Thank goodness then for the Rockyview Invitational Pro-Am Tournament. Now in it’s fourth year, the uber tournament has raised millions for Rockyview General Hospital. The tournament, by […]
Picture perfect weather ensured the annual Priddis Greens Charity Classic-held Aug 16 and 17- was an enormous success. That, and the support of myriad golfers, sponsors and volunteers resulted in an impressive $350,000 being raised for Calgary’s Prostate Cancer Centre. The Centre relies solely on donor dollars and does not enjoy any government funding. The […]
There are parties. And then there is W. Brett Wilson’s annual garden party. The must-be-invited-to fete has, over the years, raised millions of dollars for myriad charities. The concept, created by Wilson, is simple. He would host an over the top event in the garden of his Mount Royal mansion and pick up the tab […]
What started in Paris in 1988 by Francois Pasquier as a chic “friends and word-of-mouth-only” event has taken the world by storm. Diner en Blanc-Paris, now attracts more than 10,000 people each year. The posh picnic is hosted in over 70 cities and more than 25 countries. Canada caught the Diner bug in 2012 when […]
Volunteerism is the life-blood of many charitable organizations. And one of our city’s oldest organizations, Children’s Hospital Aid Society (CHAS), has been tireless in its support of the Alberta Children’s Hospital and agencies within our community by helping, for 109 years, improve the health and wellness of children and young adults. CHAS is comprised of […]
Save the best for last is an oft-used expression I am rather fond of. And this week, I’ve done just that. As summer 2017 fades into memory (and what a summer it was!), here’s a look at what is among the best golf tournaments out there: the annual Remington Golf Classic in support of the […]
There was a time when film festivals were the domain of the elite. The oldest, and most prestigious, the Venice Film Festival, started in 1932. The Cannes Film Festival followed shortly thereafter. Now, film festivals span the globe from Abu Dhabi to Zurich with hundreds, perhaps thousands, taking place each year. The first Calgary International […]
More than 400 members of the public, private and not-for-profit sectors gathered at Stampede Park Sept. 9 to join forces with ambassadors and donors to support The Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta’s fourth annual The Beat Goes On Gala. Since inception in 2014, the must-attend gala has raised nearly $4 million — more than $900,000 […]
The hip, happening and fashionably forward gathered en masse at Spruce Meadows Sept. 30 to attend PARKLUXE 2017. Presented by Bankers Hall and featuring UNTTLD, a selection of some of the top luxury Canadian fashion designers showcased their designs at the 9th annual PARKLUXE fashion show. “Hosting PARKLUXE at a world-renowned venue was an important […]
An awesome autumn evening proved the perfect backdrop for Heritage Park’s signature fundraising corporate event, September Shindig — held Sept 16. Highlights of the 29th annual event were numerous, including the crowd-favourite mock gunfight, a rodeo, a wonderful dinner prepared by executive chef Leighton Smyth, silent and live auction items, entertainment and fresh-baked bread and […]