- RSS Channel Showcase 3920000
- RSS Channel Showcase 5451115
- RSS Channel Showcase 2123583
- RSS Channel Showcase 3596799
Articles on this Page
- 12/23/17--07:16: _Candy Cane Gala she...
- 12/30/17--06:08: _Brooks: A look back...
- 01/06/18--05:06: _Brooks: New Year's ...
- 02/10/18--05:00: _Brooks: Owen Hart F...
- 02/10/18--05:00: _Brooks: Dancing Wit...
- 02/17/18--05:30: _Brooks: 27th annual...
- 02/17/18--06:09: _Brooks: Men's Healt...
- 02/24/18--05:30: _Tourism Calgary Ope...
- 02/24/18--05:31: _Sien Lok Society ce...
- 03/03/18--05:04: _Brooks: Saks Fifth ...
- 03/03/18--05:07: _Brooks: Calgary Ope...
- 03/10/18--05:00: _Hong Kong-Canada Bu...
- 03/10/18--05:00: _Reliving the '88 Ol...
- 03/17/18--05:07: _Brooks: The Calgary...
- 03/24/18--05:30: _DLA Piper (Canada) ...
- 03/24/18--05:30: _Immigrants honoured...
- 03/31/18--05:37: _Boyden Celebrates S...
- 03/31/18--05:38: _Vehicles and Violin...
- 04/14/18--05:45: _Brooks: Moonlight L...
- 04/14/18--05:45: _Brooks: Great time ...
- 12/23/17--07:16: Candy Cane Gala sheer delight for the kids
- 12/30/17--06:08: Brooks: A look back at some of the best fetes
- 01/06/18--05:06: Brooks: New Year's Eve Charity Gala the perfect way to ring in 2018
- 02/10/18--05:00: Brooks: Owen Hart Foundation's Intimate Evening with Sarah McLachlan
- 02/10/18--05:00: Brooks: Dancing With the Calgary Stars
- 02/17/18--06:09: Brooks: Men's Health big winner at Gloves-On Gala
- 02/24/18--05:30: Tourism Calgary Open House kicks off promising year
- 02/24/18--05:31: Sien Lok Society celebrates Chinese New Year
- 03/03/18--05:04: Brooks: Saks Fifth Avenue makes its Calgary debut
- 03/03/18--05:07: Brooks: Calgary Opera Valentine's Ball hits all the right notes
- 03/10/18--05:00: Hong Kong-Canada Business Association celebrates Chinese New Year
- 03/10/18--05:00: Reliving the '88 Olympic memories
- 03/17/18--05:07: Brooks: The Calgary Highlanders 69th Military Ball a grand affair
- 03/24/18--05:30: DLA Piper (Canada) LLP hosts 11th annual Art & Martini's
- 03/24/18--05:30: Immigrants honoured for their amazing contributions
- 03/31/18--05:37: Boyden Celebrates St. Patrick's Day at the Pete Club
- 03/31/18--05:38: Vehicles and Violins Gala benefits Ronald McDonald House
- 04/14/18--05:45: Brooks: Moonlight Lounge dreamy indeed
- 04/14/18--05:45: Brooks: Great time for all at the Black and White Ball
Imagine you’re in a room filled with hundreds and hundreds of children, all of whom are gleefully on sensory overload. If such an image inspires you to reach for the gin, then you were not one of the more than 1,500 guests in attendance at the Candy Cane Gala — Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation’s (ACHF) […]
As your faithful social scribe pours through the hundreds of pictures taken at myriad events this past year, it reinforces two things: one, we live in the most generous of cities; and two, I have the best job there is. Sure, there are times that a night at home in front of the fire, rather […]
2017 was, for many, a year that will not be remembered with particular fondness. And yet, if you were one of the lucky ones to attend the inaugural Calgary Firefighters New Year’s Eve Gala at the Hyatt Regency, you will no doubt have wonderful memories of an evening that was the perfect way to close […]
An Intimate Evening with Sarah McLachlan was the perfect way to spend a chilly winter’s eve at the Jube — all the while raising funds for the Owen Hart Foundation. The Grammy and Juno Award-winning Canadian icon headlined the 18th annual foundation fundraiser — much to the delight of the hundreds of guests in attendance. […]
Admit it. You, too, have taken great delight watching the television phenom Dancing With the Stars. Calgary Dance Foundation president Dawn Litzenberger felt that we could have our own Dancing With the Stars, but with a philanthropic focus. Proceeds would support young Calgary dancers vying for a place on the podium at the annual Canadian […]
Fundraising for Calgary’s Prostate Cancer Centre has come full circle. How so? It was 20 years ago that Mark Wilson, who was then working at the Westin and is now Hotel Arts Group general manager and vice-president, approached yours truly to host a winemakers dinner with proceeds going to the charity of my choice. Given […]
Did you know that Calgary is the sunniest major city in Canada? Or that the iconic Bloody Caesar was invented here? Now sunshine and caesars are probably not the top reasons tourists choose our fair city as a destination. There are dozens of other reasons visitors come here. And come here they do. By the […]
“Happiness through good works” is an apt motto for the Sien Lok Society of Calgary. Established in 1968 in response to a real threat to the continued existence of Calgary’s Chinatown, Sien Lok successfully helped preserve the historic district. The society has more than 5,000 volunteers, has hosted 109 events since 2005 and has granted […]
Let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we? Said trip will have more resonance for those of us of a “certain age.” I was but a wee child, but I do remember the opening of Chinook Centre on the site of the then Chinook Drive-In Theatre and the adjacent Skyline Drive-In and driving range. […]
The perfect way to celebrate an early Valentine’s was by attending Calgary Opera’s Opera is Forever Valentine Ball Feb. 10 at the Fairmont Palliser. The 1920s, Art Deco-themed event was a feast for the senses featuring fabulous fare, awesome auction items and perfect performances from students enrolled in the Opera’s prestigious Emerging Artist Development program. […]
Celebration was the order of the evening as Calgary’s Chinese community gathered with friends and colleagues at the Regency Palace Restaurant to welcome the Year of the Dog. Hosted by the Hong Kong-Canada Business Association (HKCBA), Calgary Section, the gala is the highlight of the year for the association. Founded in 1984, the HKCBA is […]
It’s hard to believe that it has been 30 years since we hosted the Olympics. And if the gods deem it so, we will play host to the world again in 2026. For those lucky enough to be in our fair city in 1988, you will no doubt remember with great fondness the experience from […]
The Calgary Highlanders 69th Grand Highland Military Ball held Mar. 3 at the Hyatt Regency was grand indeed. This year was the largest in the ball’s history, welcoming 520 guests in celebration of Calgary’s Canadian Army Reserve Infantry Regiment, the Calgary Highlanders. The Calgary Highlanders have served since 1910, sending soldiers overseas during both world […]
Being an artist — as creatively fulfilling as it can be — is often times not overly financially rewarding. The expression ‘starving artist’ unfortunately has gravitas. But thanks to the super folks at DLA Piper (Canada) LLP and their annual Art & Martini’s reception, more than 635 works of art have been sold to private […]
More than 600 guests gathered at the Westin Calgary March 9 to honour immigrants and refugees who have inspired the community with their passion, dedication and perseverance. Hosted by Immigrant Services of Calgary, the 22nd Annual Immigrants of Distinction Awards (IDA) Gala saw 13 awards presented — including five scholarships — to those individuals and corporations […]
The tradition continued as scores of guests attended the Boyden Executive Search hosted Guinness and Green reception Mar. 16 in the newly renovated Calgary Petroleum Club. The pre-eminent executive search firm boasts offices worldwide and its Calgary office has supported myriad charitable organizations throughout the years. Its signature fundraiser, Guinness and Green, affords guests the […]
For lovers of beautiful vehicles, symphonic music and supporting charitable causes, the annual Vehicle and Violins Gala is the perfect offering. The gala, launched in 2000, has raised more than $3.9 million for invaluable organizations such as: Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre; ALS Society of Alberta; Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation; Calgary Prostate Cancer Centre; Children’s Cottage […]
Calgary Urban Project Society (CUPS), has, for nearly three decades, helped people overcome the challenges of poverty to attain brighter futures. Without intervention, the trauma, stress and instability of living in poverty puts a child at higher risk for lifelong health problems, developmental delays, behavioral disorders and repeating the cycle of poverty. Thousands upon thousands […]
More than 550 guests donned their finest Mar. 17 to attend what is arguably one of the best events there is — Decidedly Jazz Danceworks (DJD) annual Black and White Ball. The fabulous fete dates back to 1984 when the first ball was held at the Fairmont Palliser. The stunning success of the event saw […]