- RSS Channel Showcase 4863255
- RSS Channel Showcase 3265543
- RSS Channel Showcase 9374715
- RSS Channel Showcase 6653004
Articles on this Page
- 07/07/18--06:00: _Brooks: Distinguish...
- 07/07/18--06:00: _Brooks: Wretched we...
- 07/14/18--06:00: _Brooks: Stampede st...
- 07/21/18--05:17: _Brooks: And that's ...
- 07/28/18--05:00: _Brooks: Calgary Int...
- 07/28/18--05:00: _Brooks: Business le...
- 07/28/18--05:00: _Brooks: Lobster coo...
- 08/04/18--05:32: _Brooks: Banff Centr...
- 09/01/18--05:29: _Brooks: Remington G...
- 09/08/18--06:00: _Brooks: Unity and U...
- 09/08/18--06:00: _Brooks: Pride kicko...
- 09/08/18--06:00: _Brooks: TD Bank sho...
- 09/08/18--06:00: _Brooks: Drag and fo...
- 09/13/18--05:39: _Brooks: Time to put...
- 09/15/18--06:00: _Brooks: The Beat Go...
- 09/15/18--06:00: _Brooks: Patients bi...
- 09/22/18--05:00: _Brooks: Women for M...
- 09/22/18--05:00: _Brooks: Inclement w...
- 10/06/18--05:00: _Brooks: Golden Seed...
- 10/06/18--05:00: _Brooks: Lady Grey T...
- 07/07/18--06:00: Brooks: Wretched weather challenges PARKShow 2018
- 07/14/18--06:00: Brooks: Stampede style fun and philanthropy
- 07/21/18--05:17: Brooks: And that's a wrap — one last look at Stampede 2018 events
- 07/28/18--05:00: Brooks: Business leaders honoured at awards gala
- 07/28/18--05:00: Brooks: Lobster cook-off supports Inn From the Cold
- 09/01/18--05:29: Brooks: Remington Golf Classic huge win for Prostate Cancer Centre
- 09/08/18--06:00: Brooks: Unity and Uniform celebrates true meaning of inclusion
- 09/08/18--06:00: Brooks: Pride kickoff bash supports HIV Community Link
- 09/08/18--06:00: Brooks: TD Bank shows its Pride
- 09/08/18--06:00: Brooks: Drag and food served up at Sashay Fillet
- 09/13/18--05:39: Brooks: Time to put the garden to bed for the winter
- 09/15/18--06:00: Brooks: The Beat Goes On Gala hits all the right notes
- 09/22/18--05:00: Brooks: Women for Men's Health Gala launch at Hotel Arts
- 09/22/18--05:00: Brooks: Inclement weather no match for Hull
- 10/06/18--05:00: Brooks: Golden Seed reception supports Mustard Seed Gala
- 10/06/18--05:00: Brooks: Lady Grey Tea at Lougheed House re-visits gentile era
The Distinguished Business Leader Award, co-presented by the Haskayne School of Business and the Calgary Chamber of Commerce, has recognized outstanding leaders in the Calgary business community since 1993. Since 2008, proceeds from the gala have supported the endowment of a scholarship awarded annually to a Haskayne undergraduate student who reflects a commitment to ethical […]
As the proverbial saying goes, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” And lemons were certainly what was dealt to PARKShow 2018 organizers. Had Mother Nature not been so unco-operative, PARK (Promoting Artists/Redefining Kulture) Show 2018 was to have taken place Saturday June 23 on the new George C. King Bridge in East Village. But […]
What a delight to see so many people in such great spirits. Stampede has a way of doing that. Your faithful social scribe has had the pleasure of attending and covering myriad events and have thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie and philanthropy on display. Whether the Field Law Stampede Kick-Off 2018 or the cheeky Nut Ale […]
Stampede 2018 was one of the best 10-plus days we’ve seen for a number of years. Picture-perfect weather, increased attendance year over year and a plethora of celebrations ensured a great time. And as they say in the dance business, ‘My dogs are barkin’ as your faithful social scribe was busier than usual attending and […]
#NotInMyCity is a movement which was successfully launched by country music star and community advocate Paul Brandt under his Buckspring Foundation in July 2017. The focus of the movement is to raise awareness about child sexual exploitation and sex trafficking. Children from vulnerable populations around the world are being coerced, manipulated and exploited for sex. […]
Running a business is not for the faint of heart. And to do so successfully — especially in challenging economic times — is a skill worthy of the highest praise. The Leaders Awards, now in its 11th year, salutes business leaders who demonstrate outstanding leadership acumen and drive. And 20 of the best in class […]
One would not normally associate a lobster cooking competition with an emergency family shelter. But thinking outside the box proved the way to go as five top chefs cooked up more than 200 lobsters to support ending child and family homelessness at the Third Annual Marriott International’s Annual Lobster BBQ. Held at The Delta Calgary […]
Your faithful social scribe has had the distinct pleasure of attending and covering hundreds upon hundreds of events in my 25-plus years on the circuit. Some are great. Some, meh. But my absolute favourite event of all time is the annual Banff Centre Midsummer Ball weekend. Not only is the weekend a feast for the […]
Unfortunately, there are far too many corporations and not-for-profits in our fair city battling either flat or declining revenues and donations year over year. Blessedly, Calgary’s Prostate Cancer Centre (PCC) has seen donations rise. The centre does not receive any government support and therefore relies solely on donor dollars and third party events to keep […]
It’s more than a bit puzzling that, for the second year in a row, members of the Calgary Police service were banned from marching in uniform in the Calgary Pride Parade even though the men and women in blue were tasked with providing security at the parade. Not to be deterred by the Pride Calgary […]
It’s rare indeed for your faithful social scribe to cover an event and not know many of the guests in attendance. The WERK-presented Kickoff to Pride event held Aug. 31 at The Palace Theatre was one such event. The visuals, entertainment and people watching were terrific, but as to who most of the (young) guests […]
In celebration of Calgary Pride, TD Bank and BassBus hosted the second annual Pride Block Party at containR Sept 28. Performances by Neighbour, DJ MollyFi and The Diva Drag Show ensured all in attendance had a marvellous time. The event was philanthropic as well with proceeds supporting the Skipping Stone Foundation — a Calgary-based, not-for-profit […]
Unique would be the best way to describe Sashay Fillet — a fun and cheeky pairing of drag queens and local chefs for a competition-style merging of food and drag. Hot on the heels of Eat North’s inaugural Drags Benny event, Sashay Fillet saw five local chefs partner with local drag queens for a series […]
The winter that wouldn’t end. Record-breaking heat. Avocado-sized hail. Hazardous air quality indices above 10. The only thing Mother Nature didn’t throw at us was a plague of locusts. The 2018 gardening year was a challenge. One could be forgiven for reaching for the gin before noon. And yet, we Calgary gardeners are a hearty lot […]
The Palomino Room at the BMO Centre was rocking Sept. 8 as more than 500 guests gathered to support the Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta’s fifth annual The Beat Goes On Gala, featuring headliner Steven Page, former member of The Barenaked Ladies. The event raised more than $900,000 to support cardiovascular care and research in […]
The long-standing Don LaBerge Memorial Golf Classic joined forces with Golf for the Cure in memory of Janice E. Crist to kick off the first Alberta Cancer Foundation Golf Classic in 2017. Fast forward to this year which saw the second golf classic take place Aug. 28 at Country Hills Golf and Country Club. The event […]
Listen up Mother Nature. I’ve got a bone to pick with you. Not only did you create the postponement of the Hull in One golf tournament, but you made organizers of the Women for Men’s Health pool party at Hotel Arts somewhat stressed. But the terrific team at Hotel Arts can turn on a dime […]
Mother Nature’s early gift of winter caused the postponement of the 9th annual Hull in One Golf Classic originally scheduled for Sept. 13 at Heritage Pointe Golf Club. Nonetheless, thanks to the inaugural pre-tournament reception Sept. 7 on the grounds of Centron Group’s Bob and Maria Harris’s home, $360,000 (net) was raised for Hull Services. […]
The Mustard Seed’s annual gala would not be the enormous success it is — and has been — were it not for a select group of like-minded individuals who support it through their Golden Seed initiative. Golden Seed supporters purchase gala tables for $12,000. In exchange for such generous support, Golden Seed members receive a […]
Wouldn’t it be nice if we could revisit a time when things were more gentile and refined? A select group of ladies did just that recently as they gathered Sept. 13 at Lougheed House to support The Lady Grey Tea fundraiser. The luncheon showcased women’s significant contributions to the early development of Calgary. Funds raised […]