- RSS Channel Showcase 3328319
- RSS Channel Showcase 3883257
- RSS Channel Showcase 1048970
- RSS Channel Showcase 1269034
Articles on this Page
- 04/07/17--23:05: _Bill Brooks: DLA Pi...
- 04/07/17--23:05: _Bill Brooks: Stephe...
- 04/14/17--23:45: _Bill Brooks: Intern...
- 04/14/17--23:45: _Bill Brooks: Spinni...
- 04/14/17--23:45: _Bill Brooks: Black ...
- 04/21/17--23:15: _SAM Awards honour t...
- 04/28/17--23:15: _Bill Brooks: Calgar...
- 04/28/17--23:15: _Bill Brooks: Arts C...
- 05/05/17--23:15: _Bill Brooks: CUPS r...
- 05/05/17--23:15: _Bill Brooks: Kensin...
- 05/12/17--23:15: _Bill Brooks: Summit...
- 05/12/17--23:15: _Bill Brooks: Crime ...
- 05/12/17--23:15: _Bill Brooks: Strath...
- 05/18/17--03:30: _At last! Gardener's...
- 05/19/17--23:30: _Bill Brooks: UP Gal...
- 05/19/17--23:30: _Bill Brooks: Wine, ...
- 06/10/17--03:00: _Bill Brooks: AARC s...
- 06/10/17--03:00: _Bill Brooks: Turnin...
- 06/15/17--04:00: _Shady business: Ful...
- 06/24/17--03:00: _Bill Brooks: Dinner...
- 04/07/17--23:05: Bill Brooks: DLA Piper's Art and Martini's. The perfect pairing.
- 04/07/17--23:05: Bill Brooks: Stephen Harper honoured at B'nai Brith dinner
- 04/14/17--23:45: Bill Brooks: Spinning support for men's health
- 04/14/17--23:45: Bill Brooks: Black and White Ball a colourful affair
- 04/21/17--23:15: SAM Awards honour the best in residential construction
- 04/28/17--23:15: Bill Brooks: Calgary C.A.R.E.S. about Alzheimer's
- 04/28/17--23:15: Bill Brooks: Arts Centre and Sculpture Park closer to reality
- 05/05/17--23:15: Bill Brooks: CUPS runneth over
- 05/05/17--23:15: Bill Brooks: Kensington Riverside Inn's Oxbow already a big hit
- 05/12/17--23:15: Bill Brooks: Crime Stoppers celebrates 35 year anniversary
- 05/18/17--03:30: At last! Gardener's rejoice as spring unfolds in all her glory.
- 05/19/17--23:30: Bill Brooks: UP Gala sets record
- 05/19/17--23:30: Bill Brooks: Wine, music and art – the perfect trio.
- 06/15/17--04:00: Shady business: Full sun not always available for your flower beds
- 06/24/17--03:00: Bill Brooks: Dinner by Design a gastronomic-and visual-feast
Choosing to host an event the day after the spring equinox was the right call for the Calgary office of DLA Piper (Canada) LLP’s 10th annual Art & Martini reception held Mar 21. in the Winter Garden at Jamieson Place. More than 400 guests from Calgary’s business and art communities enjoyed an evening of cocktails, […]
The Cher lyrics “If I could turn back time” feels an appropriate theme for this column. Or the Boyz Please Come Back hit. Or the South Korean television series Please Come Back, Mister. Insert the name Harper at the end of the latter and you’ll get where I’m going. For the first time since leaving […]
For the 85 women and their children who are healing from the scars of domestic abuse and violence, the Brenda Strafford Society is a god-send. The society was established in January 1996 when it became apparent that there was a dire need in Calgary for longer accommodation for women leaving emergency shelters. The Brenda Strafford […]
Saddle Up for Men’s Health, held Apr 1 at YYC Cycle, was a fun and fit way to spin support for Calgary’s Prostate Cancer Centre. The second annual spin event netted an impressive $55,000 for Men’s Health Programs at the Prostate Cancer Centre. In 2016, 34 Men’s Health Clinics were held across the city and […]
Surely one of the best fundraising parties going is Decidedly Jazz Danceworks’ (DJD) Black and White Ball. Since 1984, the ball has been the perfect event to see and be seen-all the while raising funds for the iconic dance school and performance troupe. The ball was a hit from day one as scores of DJD […]
More than 1300 guests from the residential construction industry gathered at the Telus Convention Centre Apr 8 for the SAM Awards-the industry’s equivalent to the Oscars. A plethora of politicians including MLA’s, city councillors- and even Mayor Naheed Nenshi attended the awards ceremony that saw 60 awards presented in myriad categories from Grand SAMs and […]
The numbers are indeed shocking. Someone in Canada develops dementia every five minutes. Alzheimer’s took my beloved mom. My aunt. And my grandmother. And I’m probably next. There is no doubt that each and every one of us has been affected-one way or another-by this insidious disease. And it’s only going to get worse as […]
If one were to look up the word passion in the dictionary, it would not be surprising to see the names Katie Ohe and Harry Kiyooka as examples of same. Ohe is a renowned Canadian sculptor and one of the first artists to make abstract sculpture in Alberta while her partner Kiyooka is an accomplished […]
Things are looking up this year for Calgary Urban Project Society (CUPS)-an invaluable organization that helps people overcome the challenges of poverty to attain brighter futures. Without intervention, the trauma, stress and instability of living in poverty puts a child at higher risk for lifelong health problems, developmental delays, behavioral disorders and repeating the cycle […]
The hospitality industry is not for the faint of heart. One must always be ahead of the curve and offer customers impeccable service, good value and a compelling reason to keep coming back. The Hotel Arts Group gets this. Big time. And it’s support of myriad charitable organizations is commendable indeed. The Annual Bill Brooks […]
“I may have been given a cactus, but I don’t have to sit on it” quips Nicki Perkins, an unbelievably positive and energetic young lady. Perkins is afflicted by Cystic Fibrosis (CF). The challenges she faces would be insurmountable for many. Perkins was recently listed as a Status Zero for lung transplantation. This means she […]
Our beloved city is first on a number of levels. We hosted the first Canadian Winter Olympics in 1988. The Caesar cocktail was invented here. So too the Trebble-Bishnoi Equation of State. But what the latter is, I have no idea. It may surprise you to learn that Calgary piloted the first International Crime Stoppers […]
Education is the key to success. Of that, there can be no doubt. That is why Job 1 should be to ensure our kids gets the best education possible. Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School (STS) is a great example of an educational facility that offers the best. The storied school officially opened in Okotoks in September 1971. An […]
If you are anything like I am, by about mid April, you are ready to reach for the gin. In the middle of the day. Spring seemingly takes forever to arrive. Nary a bloom nor green shoots in sight. This year, I thought the perfect way to get over the winter blahs, was a weekend […]
Let’s be honest. Life is not always a bed of roses. Many of us, at times, turn to professional counselling to help get through difficult periods. What happens though when the counselling isn’t affordable and available as long as one might need? Thank goodness then for the Unlocking Potential Foundation (UP)-the fundraising arm of Catholic […]
There is nothing better than fine wine, heavenly music and beautiful art. Just ask the 250 guests who attended Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra’s (CPO) Cork & Canvas Winemaker’s Dinner, it’s signature fundraiser held recently at the Calgary Petroleum Club. Highlights of the sumptuous soiree were numerous including a champagne reception and distinguished cuisine prepared by executive […]
The invaluable services offered by the Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre (AARC) are more important than ever- especially in light of the opioid crisis devastating our beloved community. AARC saves lives. Since 1992, AARC has treated more than 544 adolescents and their more than 2000 family members. When a young person walks through the doors of […]
Hundreds of guests gathered at the Telus Convention Centre Apr 27 to support the Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter (CWES) 23rd annual Turning Points Gala. Unmasking Family Violence and Abuse celebrated the courageous individuals and families in our community striving to live free from family violence and abuse as well as commemorate the important work of […]
There can be nothing more beautiful than a perennial bed overflowing with colour, bloom, texture and form. Mounds of flowering delphinium, roses, hemerocallis (day lily), monkshood, Joe pye weed and the like evoke the resplendence of a traditional English garden. Only challenge? Said bed will need mostly full sun to perform like the star it […]
It simply doesn’t get any better than fabulous food, lovely libation and stimulating conversation. And when said pairings are offered in unique, incredibly designed dining areas, the word Nirvana springs to mind. Dinner by Design, the tony event which has seen great success in Toronto and Vancouver, returned to Calgary for it’s third consecutive year […]