- RSS Channel Showcase 4592362
- RSS Channel Showcase 9116974
- RSS Channel Showcase 6079123
- RSS Channel Showcase 1561171
Articles on this Page
- 10/13/17--04:00: _Bob McPhee saluted ...
- 10/13/17--04:00: _Dreams come true fo...
- 10/13/17--04:00: _Saluting remarkable...
- 10/21/17--07:47: _Pets strut the runw...
- 10/21/17--07:48: _Silver turns to gol...
- 10/27/17--02:30: _Rozsa Award honours...
- 10/27/17--02:33: _Henry Singer steps ...
- 10/27/17--02:33: _Brooks: Wood's Home...
- 11/04/17--05:00: _Brooks: Homelessnes...
- 11/04/17--05:00: _Brooks: Entrepreneu...
- 11/18/17--05:52: _Brooks: Guests go w...
- 11/25/17--06:00: _YWHISPER Gala speak...
- 12/02/17--05:46: _Celebrating 21 year...
- 12/02/17--06:38: _Seasonal celebratio...
- 12/09/17--06:00: _Radio hosts retire ...
- 12/09/17--06:00: _GMP FirstEnergy hos...
- 12/16/17--05:58: _Brooks: Christmas c...
- 12/16/17--05:59: _Brooks: Here's to t...
- 12/16/17--06:00: _Blue Ball raises fu...
- 12/23/17--07:13: _Westman Village set...
- 10/13/17--04:00: Bob McPhee saluted in grand style
- 10/13/17--04:00: Dreams come true for Inn from the Cold
- 10/13/17--04:00: Saluting remarkable individuals at the Top 7 Over 70 Gala
- 10/21/17--07:47: Pets strut the runway at Cocktails for Critters
- 10/21/17--07:48: Silver turns to gold at UNICEF Gala
- 10/27/17--02:30: Rozsa Award honours the best in arts management
- 10/27/17--02:33: Henry Singer steps it up to Eighth Avenue Place
- 10/27/17--02:33: Brooks: Wood's Homes never gives up
- 11/04/17--05:00: Brooks: Homelessness unmasked at Seeds of Hope Gala
- 11/04/17--05:00: Brooks: Entrepreneurs inducted into Calgary Business Hall of Fame
- 11/18/17--05:52: Brooks: Guests go wild at charity wine auction
- 11/25/17--06:00: YWHISPER Gala speaks volumes about violence and poverty
- 12/02/17--05:46: Celebrating 21 years of philanthropy in Calgary
- 12/02/17--06:38: Seasonal celebrations highlight the spirit of Christmas
- 12/16/17--05:58: Brooks: Christmas comes early for underprivileged kids
- 12/16/17--05:59: Brooks: Here's to the ladies who lunch
- 12/23/17--07:13: Westman Village set to transform residential living
Bob McPhee is what they call a rainmaker. His 30-year career in the arts — primarily opera — is the stuff of legend. He has numerous awards to his credit including the Order of Canada, the Opera Canada Lifetime Achievement Award, and, most recently, an Honorary Doctor of Laws from the University of Calgary. McPhee […]
Inn from the Cold’s Emergency Family Shelter has been operating at or over capacity for 44 per cent of the time over the past year. Thanks then, for the success of its pirate-themed 5th Annual DreamINN Big! Gala held Sept. 23 at TELUS Spark. “Our fundraising goal … was $200,000 and the support from our corporate […]
That our North American culture marginalizes seniors is shameful indeed. Asian cultures — and many European ones as well — revere their seniors. Ours seems to have an inverse relationship between age and value. The older one gets, the less ‘value’ one seems to have. And yet there are scores of those of a ‘certain […]
There must have been something magical about the evening of Oct. 14. How else to explain the enormous success of not one, but four events all happening at once? Whether the UNICEF Gala at the Hyatt, the Mustard Seed event at the Fairmont Palliser, the Booby Ball at Hotel Arts or Cocktails for Critters at […]
The 25th annual UNICEF Canada Water for Life Gala, held Oct. 14 at the Hyatt Regency, raised more than $1 million to support vulnerable children around the world. Readers may recall last year’s gala raised $919,000, which supported the construction of boreholes, water pumps and latrine blocks in schools and health centres in remote villages […]
The arts and profit should not be diametrically opposed. Arts organizations know the bottom line is as important as the product being offered. The Rozsa Award for Excellence in Arts Management salutes exceptional arts managers for this very thing. The annual award is unique in Canada because of the value and variety of benefits it […]
Retail and restaurants are perhaps two of the more challenging fields to be in these days. But don’t tell that to the Henry Singer Fashion Group — an iconic Alberta menswear retailer that has served the well-dressed gentleman for 79 years. Henry Singer is so confident in its ability and product that it elevated the […]
Tragedy, at times, can be turned into triumph. The Wood’s Homes’ story is a shining example of same. Wood’s Christian Home was founded in the Innisfail/Olds area by Reverend George Wood, a Scottish Presbyterian minister who moved to Canada with his wife Elizabeth in 1907. They settled in Saskatchewan. In 1914, tragedy struck when his […]
Shocking as it may seem, homelessness exists in Calgary on a surprisingly large scale. But thanks to the success of The Mustard Seed’s annual Seeds of Hope Gala, hope and dignity can be restored to those in our community who need it most. The gala is a true testament to the strength of our city […]
A city is made great by the contributions of its citizens. And great citizens are what we are known for. One need look no further for shining examples than those inducted into the Calgary Business Hall of Fame — a marvellous initiative started 14 years ago by Junior Achievement of Southern Alberta (JASA). Since its […]
More than 800 guests donned their finest jungle attire to attend Willow Park Wines & Spirits’ 24th Charity Wine Auction Nov. 4. From amazing body-painted creatures of the night to leopard-print lovelies, the visuals at the fab fete were wonderful indeed. Proceeds from the standing-room-only event will support cancer-based organizations through its Vintage Fund including: […]
Silence is not a virtue when it comes to the cycle of family violence, homelessness and poverty. Speak up. Speak out. Such are the mantras of YW Calgary’s YWHISPER Gala. YW Calgary is the largest and longest-serving women’s organization in the city. Throughout its 106-year history, the organization has touched tens of thousands of lives […]
There was a time our beloved city was ranked the most philanthropic metropolis in North America (on a per-capita basis). We’ve lost those bragging rights, but make no mistake. Calgarians are still among the most generous citizens on the planet. One need look no further for evidence than those individuals and organizations honoured with the […]
‘Tis that time of the year when seasonal celebrations take the city by storm. Whether breakfasts (your faithful social scribe is rarely seen attending these. Mornings are not my thing as many of you know!), luncheons, receptions or full-on parties, the spirit of the season is as welcome as spring tulips. Thankfully, challenging economic times […]
After a quarter of a century as Calgary’s favourite morning radio trio, Don Stevens, Joanne Johnson and Jamie (the Coach) Herbison are splitting up. And no. It’s not a nasty divorce. Rather, it’s simply the right time to call it a day. Leave when you’re on top is the conventional wisdom. On Dec. 8 at […]
Federal and provincial government policies have only exacerbated the challenging business environment in the patch. We all know of at least one or two people who have lost their jobs as a result of the economic downturn in an industry that was —not all that long ago — the economic darling of the country. It […]
Yes Virgina. There is a Santa Claus. And his real name is Gordie Hoffman. This tireless volunteer and community advocate has, with support from his wife Eva, ensured underprivileged kids attend Theatre Calgary’s A Christmas Carol for the past 17 years. More than 450 children were bused to Theatre Calgary on Nov. 25 for the […]
Readers will recall I have often opined if you want a fundraiser to be a success, best ensure the ladies are behind it. One need look no further for proof of this than the fantastic ladies who are team CHAS (Children’s Hospital Aid Society). This volunteer-based organization has been fundraising on behalf of the children […]
Laughter, it is said, is the best medicine. And what better way to raise funds — and awareness — for a disease that will affect one in seven Alberta men than to take the conversation from dire to droll. Sure, prostate cancer is nothing to laugh about. But end of the day, there is nothing […]
How and where consumers choose to live is about to undergo a dramatic shift. Westman Village, the new 5.5-hectare, multi-faceted development within Mahogany will offer discerning consumers anything and everything they could hope for. Whether a condominium, an estate home seniors living and retirement or leasing, there is something for everyone here. And the heart of […]